Thursday, November 18, 2010

Anchors away

I had the opportunity to go out on an air craft carrier for a week to provide eye exams. I flew out to the ship on a Monday and rode the ship back into San Diego. This was my first time being on a ship. Up until now I had only sat in a clinic doing eye exams. This experience helped me develop a sense of being part of the Navy, rather than just working for the Navy.

I stayed very busy doing eye exams. I found out that sailors out on ships don't work the nice comfortable 8 hour shifts most are used to. I worked from 7:00 am until 8:00 pm with breaks for lunch and dinner. I thought I was working hard but quickly realized that I had one of the easiest schedules on the ship. My respect for our sailors has significantly increased. On my lunch and dinner breaks I tried to make it out to watch the air operations. To me this was like being a kid on Christmas morning all over. There is something about all that power harnessed into a machine that really gets the adrenaline going. As you can tell from the pictures, I really enjoyed watching the jets take off and land.







The Carnival cruise ship got stranded while I was out on the carrier. We responded and provided relief to the ship. The picture below is of one of the helicopters that transported supplies to the stranded ship.

4 comments:

The Sullengers said...

Paij was telling me all about it - it sounded exciting and busy! I'm sure she is happy to have you back though!

Reiko said...

Bryan is going to be so jealous when I tell him you got to go out to sea. Glad you had a great experience. I am also thankful Bryan does not have that schedule.

Terry and Kalli said...

Terry is very jealous and says your camo is pretty effective and is glad you didn't fall in :)

Parley and Katie Call said...

This is so awesome! I love what you wrote too. It's true, they work so hard. I am sure you do too! :) That is cool you get to be on the ships. I can't believe you even get to "fly to the ship"...once again, great pics.


Morgan Kennedy Collins

Morgan is one month old!