Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Here's the scoop. (warning kind of long and boring)

So several of you have probably heard that I went to CA for two weeks rather unexpectedly. Here's how it happened. Ever since Brent and I moved here, he has been aching to go to Mammoth Caves in KY, seeing how it's the closest national park. It's come up several times but always got vetoed until now. We had three free days so we decided to head up there on Friday. On Thursday, I called my mom to see what she wanted for Mother's day and she said, "You, on a plane." So I thought, well if we're already going through Nashville, lets see how much it would cost to fly out of there. It was very reasonable so I decided that Morgan and I would leave on Saturday. We went to Mammoth as scheduled on Friday and were not very impressed. If you're passing through I would maybe hit it but don't make an extra trip for it. This is the best picture we got.

Then Morgan and I flew out of Nashville Saturday morning for one of my worst traveling experiences ever. Starting from when we arrived at the Nashville airport to when we pulled into my parents driveway it was 18 hours. It was 5:30am Central time and I didn't have my luggage. It was going to be a surprise to my mom but when my dad had to drive to Reno to come get me at 11pm, we couldn't really keep it a secret anymore. Morgan was such a trooper. I was in a way worse mood then she was but I was so glad when we made it. Here she is in the airport.

Then we had mostly a good week in CA. My sister from UT was there visiting with her three kids too. So we hung out and the kids played (more in the next posting). However, on Saturday morning, my grandmother, who lives with my mother and has for almost 7 years, past away. She was 93 years old and her health has been steadily declining. She wasn't ill at all and just went peacefully in her sleep so even though it's hard to see a loved one go, we're glad she went the way she did. We have great memories of her and we know she is in a much happier place.
The next several days were dedicated to funeral plans and making arrangements to get to Idaho where grandma had a plot and headstone next to her husband. We left Tuesday to head up there and the funeral was Thursday. Everything went beautifully except my grandmother's baby sister (84ish) got lost trying to buy flowers and missed the whole thing. Then we headed back to my sister's house in UT and had good family time (posting to come). We flew back home out of Salt Lake on Sunday and are happy to be back to peace and quiet but mostly glad to be back with Brent.

3 comments:

Susan said...

What a crazy trip! So glad you're back!

Deborah said...

It sounds like you had a good time with your family. Too bad we didn't get to see you while you were here. BTW Happy Birthday to Morgan yesterday! I can't believe she is already a year old. Now it is time for baby #2! j/k

Sarah McM said...

Sorry to hear about your grandma passing. Talk about the spirit telling you to get to California! Glad you had a fun trip, though.


Morgan Kennedy Collins

Morgan is one month old!