Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Brent's fun lately

I have had the opportunity to get out and do some hiking and backpacking recently. I of course brought along the camera and have enjoyed playing around with an old hobby that I have neglected for a while. To start off, I went backpacking with some friends from BYU Idaho in Mineral King in Kings Canyon National Park. It was amazing. We packed into some lakes just shy of 10,00 feet. The only sign of civilization the entire time we were there was a lone plane that I spotted silently passing over head. It was awesome to catch up with some old friends and to soak in the beauty.



We also recently had the opportunity to go to Saint George, UT and spend a 3 day weekend with Paij's sister and her family. They have a beautiful home in Snow Canyon. The girls went and saw Disney's Little Mermaid. It was an awesome production with lots of cool special effects and unique incorporation of water into the stage, which was nestled amongst the red rock amphitheater. The next day the guys got to go hiking in a slot canyon. This was our brother in law and nephews first time in a slot canyon. It was a fun slot that was challenging, yet not too technical.





The highlight of the trip was going skydiving for the first time. It was awesome and even more of an adrenaline rush than I had anticipated. My brother in law and I each made a jump. It was way worth getting turned down for a new life insurance policy (they have now agreed to give me the policy now that I have skydived without killing myself). Unfortunately, there was a freak accident at the neighboring skydiving place that happened at the same time my brother in law was making his jump and two people were killed in the fall. We were extra grateful that we were not involved. Here I am about to land.


We also recently went to the Miramar Air Show. It was a lot of fun for me, not so much fun for Morgan (who covered her ears the whole time and repeatedly asked "Is it still loud?"). My favorite part was watching the harrier jets do the vertical take off and maneuvers. I can't wrap my brain around the power required to get a jet to hover so gracefully like that. Here is one f my favorite shots from the air show (not the harrier).

A couple weeks ago I heard a new sound coming from outside. I walked out to discover a flock of parrots flying around and perching in the trees on our cul de sac. They have repeated this routine every night shortly before sunset for the last couple weeks. Their beauty is a stark contrast to their calls to each other.



I am grateful for the beauty created all around us and to live in a part of the country where I have access to so much of it. We have really enjoyed San Diego. Looking forward to experiencing the new beauty that is in store for our family....

3 comments:

Terry and Kalli said...

AMAZING pictures! You should sell a calendar or something! Very cool stuff!

Kristin said...

Those look like awesome adventures. I am going to add those places to my list of places to go! That is crazy about the parrots.

Megan, John and kids said...

Beautiful pictures Brent, glad you all have done some fun things lately. Thanks for sharing!


Morgan Kennedy Collins

Morgan is one month old!